The second half of January proved to be very busy and has continued into February. There’s been little time to sit beside the fire unless the laptop is with me. Working in the gardens, processing botanical products, and business in the warehouse and on the phone has made the past few weeks a 24/7 situation.
The good news is that most of our gardens are mulched and weeded and ready for planting this Spring! This weekend we will be pruning roses, grapes and other dormant shrubs and trees. We’ve made our vegetable garden seed selections and will be ordering this week. My favorite seed suppliers are Johnny’s Seeds, Horizon Herbs, and Seeds of Change. This year we are using only NOP Organic Certified seeds so it’s a bit of a challenge to choose the varieties that we think and hope will do well in our area. It will be fun to experiment though.
The Herbarie staff has been working very hard to process orders, keep shelves stocked, and keep everything running smoothly in the warehouse. This January/February it’s out with the old and in with the new! We’ve needed to make room for our new products and have drastically reduced some of our closeout items. We also changed our pricing structure on many of our long-time customer favorites:
In spite of the current poor economy, most customers report their businesses are doing well. We do hear reports of some companies that are struggling. We are hoping the new pricing structure will enable our customers to be more competitive in the marketplace. Rich creams and lotions, luscious shampoo and shower gel and anti-aging products are affordable luxuries. In difficult times, a bit of pampering can help us feel better.
We are excited to offer many new products. All can be found at this link:
Some I’ll list here:
● Jordapon ACI 30 G – (Ammonium Cocoyl Isethionate) offers the same luscious lather and mildness as SCI Flake – only in an easy to use liquid!
● Glucamate LT – easy to use, vegetable sourced thickener for shampoo and shower gel offers superior compatibility and thickening characteristics.
● Colhibin – Inhibits collagen degrading enzymes. This plant derived peptide fraction protects Collagen from the harmful effects of Collagenases (MMPs). Colhibin has been clinically proven to help to reduce skin roughness and to delay wrinkle formation.
As skin ages, the synthesis of collagen decreases. In addition, enzymes known as Collagenases, promote the degradation of collagen. This degradation is sometimes referred to as MMP activity. MMP activity leaves skin rough and wrinkles are formed. Colhibin has strong MMP (Collagenases) inhibition properties that protect the collagen fibers from degradation. Colhibin is recommeded for antiaging products, sun care products, and other personal care products.
● Matrix Peptide – Restore and maintain skin's youthful appearance!
Our skin matrix is made up of 75% collagen. Collagen is an integral structural component of this matrix and is responsible for providing skin with the necessary strength and support for the surrounding cells.
Collagen synthesis occurs naturally throughout our lives as our skin continuously repairs damaged tissue or builds new tissue. As we age, collagen synthesis decreases and skin will degrade. Therefore, preventing the loss of collagen and promoting the synthesis of collagen are both integral to maintaining youthful, healthy skin. Matrix Peptide is pure (>99.7%) G-P-Hyp tripeptide that is produced without the use of animal derived products or GMOs and demonstrates excellent bioavailability. In-vitro experiments have demonstrated Matrix Peptide will significantly increase the synthesis of Collagen I by binding to fibroblast receptors to initiate collagen production, making Matrix Peptide suitable for a variety of skin care applications to help minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Matrix Peptide is recommended for antiaging creams, lotions, serums, toners, and other personal care products. Matrix Peptide has similar functionality when compared to Matrixyl 3000 and can be used interchangeably.
● Syn®-Coll –Renew Skin's Youthful Appearance!
Collagen represents the main component of the ECM (Extra Cellular Matrix) of the dermal connective tissue and is responsible for providing skin with the necessary strength and support for the surrounding cells.
Collagen synthesis occurs naturally throughout our lives as our skin continuously repairs damaged tissue or builds new tissue. As we age, collagen synthesis decreases and skin will degrade. Syn®-Coll has the ability to bind with and activate key elements that promote the synthesis of collagen. Promoting the synthesis of collagen is important for maintaining youthful, healthy skin.
Syn®-Coll is a patented, innovative approach that is based on Pentapharm's many years of experience in synthesizing peptides for the pharmaceutical industry. This bioactive ingredient has been clinically proven to be safe and effective. In both In vitro and In-vivo experiments, Syn®-Coll has demonstrated significant anti-wrinkle effects.
Syn®-Coll is recommended for use in lotions, creams, serums, toners, and other antiaging products.
● VitaC Stable (AAP) – a new, stable, water-soluble, vitamin C derivative known as Aminopropyl Ascorbyl Phosphate (AAP).
Numerous studies have documented the effectiveness of l-ascorbic acid as both an antioxidant and anti-aging ingredient for skin care. Unfortunately l-ascorbic acid is not stable and will oxidize very quickly – within hours - once put into solution. The oxidation of l-Ascorbic Acid can actually be detrimental to skin health. This makes l-ascorbic acid a poor choice for most skin care products.
When compared to l-ascorbic acid and other vitamin C derivatives, VitaC Stable (AAP) demonstrated superior benefits for skin care. VitaC Stable (AAP) serves as an excellent antioxidant, helps to promote the biosynthesis of collagen, and also helps to lighten/brighten skin by inhibiting the production of melanin which causes hyperpigmentation or age spots.
Studies have demonstrated a reduction in fine lines and wrinkles and hyperpigmentation after as little as two months. VitaC Stable (AAP) is non-irritating and non-toxic when used as directed (0.1% - 1.0%). VitaC Stable (AAP) is an off-white powder that is easily soluble in water and very stable over time. This superior stability along with superb functionality, makes VitaC Stable (AAP) one of the most important anti-aging active ingredients.
● Marula Oil – Lovely, easily absorbed oil with a conditioned feel! The Marula tree (Sclerocarya birrea) is native to Africa and is highly valued for its fruit. Marula Oil has been used traditionally in South Africa for many years. Our high purity Marula Oil is extracted from the kernels of the fruit using traditional cold-press methods and no solvents.
Marula oil is rich in essential fatty acids and antioxidants which are essential components in the maintanence of healthy skin. Marula Oil is absorbed quickly and provides skin with a conditioned, soft feel. It has also been found to significantly improve skin hydration and smoothness.
Marula Oil is also used in hair and scalp conditioners for rinse out and leave in applications.
Due to the high mono-un-saturated content, Marula Oil demonstrates excellent oxidative stability as well.
● Helichrysum Extract ECOCERT® certified is produced from the flowers of the Helichrysum stoechas plant. The Helichrysum flower contains compounds that have antioxidant and antimicrobial activity. These compounds include flavonoids, acetophenone derivatives, monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, triterpenes and phytosterols. Flavonoids and acetophenones are the primary antioxidants and serve as free radical scavengers and help to prevent ROS formation. In addition to antioxidant activity, Helichrysum Extract ECOCERT® also demonstrates antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and purifying activity primarily due to the essential oil components.
● Aloe Vera Oil Extract – This oil based extract is from the Aloe Vera Barbadensis Miller variety of Aloe. Aloe Vera Oil Extract is produced by incorporating constituents from the leaf of the Aloe Vera plant through a proprietary process into a Soybean Oil base.
Aloe Vera Oil Extract has an exceptionally nice feel and is absorbed quickly, leaving skin feeling soft and conditioned. Aloe Vera Oil Extract may be used in most anhydrous (oil based) products, or it can be used in the oil phase of formulations for cosmetics, toiletries, or O.T.C. pharmaceutical preparations.
● Cupuaçu Butter is obtained from the seeds of the Cupuaçu tree that grows in the Brazilian Amazon. Our Cupuacu Butter is a refined, light tan, soft solid with a low melt point (approx.32-36°C) that liquefies and spreads quickly when in contact with the skin. Cupuaçu Butter possesses a high capacity for water absorption which gives it superior moisturizing properties. Cupuaçu Butter offers a lovely emolliency that will restore elasticity and softness to skin. It contains phytosterols and unsaponifiables that help to regulate the balance and activity of lipids in the epidermis. Phytosterols have been used topically to soothe dry skin and smooth wrinkles. The phytosterols contained in Cupuaçu include: β-sitosterol, stigmasterol and campesterol. The β-sitosterol properties and chemical structure are similar to that of cholesterol, which represents more than 70% of the unsaponifiable fraction of Cupuaçu Butter. In addition, Cupuaçu Butter also functions to help stabilize emulsions.
● Vincience Active Achromaxyl™ IS!
Achromaxyl IS is a new, patented skin-lightening active ingredient for cosmetic products. It is composed of fermented and hydrolyzed proteins extracted from the Brassicaceae family.
Skin-lightening biofunctional active ingredients are generally used for two major cosmetic applications: the reduction in the appearance of age spots (one of the major signs of aging) and general skin-lightening
● Vincience Active D'Orientine™ S!
D'Orientine™ S is a new, patented plant-derived active ingredient extracted from the date-palm kernel (Phoenix Dactylifera). D'Orientine S has clinically proven anti-wrinkle efficacy and free radical scavenging properties to protect skin from environmental sources of aging and wrinkling.
D'Orientine S properties are based on its unique complex of 7 compounds acting in synergy to delay the visible effects of aging.
● COMING SOON - Natural Preservative - Leucidal Liquid OC is derived from Leuconostoc kimchii, the bacteria that has traditionally been used to make kimchi. This product consists of a peptide that is secreted from the bacteria during the fermentation process that has been shown to have antimicrobial benefits. Using in-vitro testing methods, Leucidal Liquid OC has been determined to be non-irritating. Leucidal Liquid OC combines the current trends for alternative preservative systems and peptide technology.
Challenge testing has demonstrated that 2% Leucidal Liquid OC in a cream bse is able to successfully inhibit microbial growth. Samples were inoculated with S. aureus, E. coli, P. aeruginosa, C. albicans, A. niger, K. pneumoniae, B. cepacia. Following 28 days of incubation samples were then re-inoculated for an additional 28 days. Minimum Inhibitory Concentrations (MIC) were determined using a standard agar dilution method. A variety of bacteria and fungus were tested to evaluate the ability of Leucidal Liquid OC to protect against microbial contamination. The results indicate that Leucidal Liquid OC can provide effective protection for a cosmetic system.
Today has turned out to be a lovely blue sky day, but it's COLD for SC - still below freezing at 10:30am! A good day for lentil soup, collards and cornbread! More later....